Good. Better. Best
Further to the Wests Sports Council Members, there is an assortment of groups, competitions and tournaments the Wests Group sponsors. Tennis and Golf are key areas of sport offered at the Wests Tennis Club and Lakeside Golf Club Camden for all ages and talents. However, the Group also sponsors Rugby League, AFL, individual sporting grants, as well as team sporting grants as per the below descriptions.
The Wests Group also sponsors and supports a range of groups, competitions and tournaments in the local community.
- GWS Auskick Program – the AFL NSW/ACT provides both males and females between the ages of 4-17 years with a fun and safe Australian Football experience. In 2016 there were 50 participants. The program introduces young people to the game and develops within each child the desire for a healthy lifestyle and an association with the game. The Club provides funding to run the program by subsidising participant costs.
- GWS Supporter Club – The Country Club Camden Valley is a GWS Supporter Club where fans in the area gather during the AFL season to cheer on their team. The Club provides themed burgers each week and merchandise is given away to celebrate the team.
- Individual Sporting Grants – the Club provides funding to many individual athletes to enable them to compete at State, National or International levels. In 2016 this amounted to just under $6,000.
- Junior Golf Academy – The Club contributes to the operation of a Junior Golf Academy for children aged to 17 years old. The Junior Golf Program operates on Saturdays and during School holidays. Administration support and an office are provided.
- Men’s and Ladies Golf Pennant teams – The Club has teams in the Ladies Pennants, Mens – Masters, Major and in 2016 entered a team in the Encourage Shield (U17yo). The Club provides funding for entry fees, uniforms and transport to attend other Golf Clubs as part of Representing their Club at Golf Pennant events. The Club also provides meeting rooms and presentation venues as well as catering when required to ‘Host’ a Pennant Competition.
- South West Sydney Academy of Sport – Wests League Club provides support for the Western Suburbs Junior Rugby League Development Program. This program involves the technical, educational and personal development of approximately 100 local junior rugby league players aged between 13-17 on an annual basis. The program also acts as a development pathway for local coaches and volunteers.
- Wests League U13 & U15 Cup – Since its inception into Local High Schools in 2015, the Wests League Cup has consolidated its place in School culture throughout the Liverpool, Macarthur and Southern Highlands regions. For many students and teaches alike, it is the highlight of the school year. The Club has provided funds to this competition since its inception which now runs an U13 and U15 Rugby League Competition amongst 20 High Schools, some 800 schoolboys participate. A large number of these students are unable to play in the traditional weekend game (generally due to financial constraints), so the program gives opportunities to all young people.
- Wests Tigers Academy players – The Club provides funding towards Scholarships for future NRL players. Those participating attend local Schools within the Macarthur area.